Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Beautiful poems...

















1.This is a poem I myself have memorized. It means a lot to me... it's something I can relate to. It was in "The Perks of Being a Wallflower." You might consider reading that, it's a GREAT story. Just remember to be open minded.


"Once on a yellow piece of paper with green lines
he wrote a poem

And he called it "Chops"

because that was the name of his dog
And that's what it was all about
And his teacher gave him an A

and a gold star
And his mother hung it on the kitchen door
and read it to his aunts
That was the year father Tracy
took all the kids to the zoo

And he let them sing on the bus
And his little sister was born
with tiny toenails
and no hair

And his mother and father kissed a lot

And the girl around the corner sent him
a
valentine signed with a row of x's
and he had to ask his father what the x's meant

And his father always tucked him in bed at night

And was always there to do it.

Once on a piece of white paper with blue lines
he wrote a poem

And called it "Autumn"

because that was the name of the season
And that's what it was all about
And his teacher gave him an A

and asked him to write more clearly

And his mother never hung it on the kitchen door
because of its new paint
And the kids told him
that father Tracy smoked cigars
And left butts on the pews

And sometimes they would burn holes

That was the year his sister got glasses

with thick lenses and black frames

And the girl around the corner laughed

when he asked her to go see Santa Claus

And the kids told him why
his mother and father kissed a lot
And his father never tucked him in at night
And his father got mad

when he asked him to do it.

Once on a paper torn from his notebook
he wrote a poem
And he called it "Innocense: A Question"

because that was the question about his girl

And that's what it was all about

And his professor gave him an A

and a strange steady look

And his mother never hung it on the kitchen door

because he never showed her

That was the year father Tracy died

And he forgot how the end

of the Apostle's Creed went

And he caught his sister
making out on the back porch
And his mother and father never kissed

or even talked
And the girl around the corner

wore too much makeup

That made him cough when he kissed her

but he kissed her anyway

because that was the thing to do

And at three A.M. he tucked himself into bed

his father snoring soundly


That's why on the back of a brown paper bag

he tried another poem

And he called it "Absolutely Nothing"

Because that's what it was really all about

And he gave himself an A

And a slash on each damned wrist
And he hung it on the bathroom door

because he didn't think
he could reach the kitchen."

2.The Oyster

There once was an oyster whose story I tell,

Who found that some sand had got into his shell.
It was only a grain but it gave him great pain,
For oysters have feelings although they're so plain.


Now, did he berate the harsh workings of fate
That had brought him to such a deplorable state?

Did he curse at the government, cry for election,

And claim that the sea should have given him protection?


No--He said to himself as he lay on a shell,

Since I cannot remove it, I shall try to improve it.

Now the years have rolled around,

as the years always do,

And he came to his ultimate destiny--stew.


And the small grain of sand that had bothered him so
Was a beautiful pearl all richly aglow.

Now the tale has a moral;
For isn't it grand what an oyster can do

With a morsel of sand.


What couldn't we do
If we'd only begin
With some of the things

That get under our skin.

3.There is a poem that has touched me much like this one- It is from the movie “Somewhere in time” It is called….
Is it you?

“The man of my dreams has almost faded now.

The one I have created in my mind.

The sort of man each woman dreams of in the deepest

and most secret reaches of her heart.

I can almost see him now before me.
What would I say to him, if he were really here?

Forgive me, I have never known this feeling . . .
I’ve lived without it all my life.
Is it any wonder, then, that I failed to
recognize you?
You . . . who brought it to me for the first time.

Is there any way I can tell you how my life has changed?

Any way at all to let you know what sweetness you have given me?

There is so much to say . . .
I cannot find the words.

Except for these. . . I love you.
Such would I say to him,
. . . if he were really here.”

4.Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow! By Khalil Gibran,

I said to my friend:
"See her leaning over his arm?
Yesterday she leaned over my arm."
And he said:
"Tomorrow she will lean over mine."

And I said:
"See her sitting at his side;
And yesterday she sat at my side."
And he said:
"Tomorrow she will sit at mine."

And I said:
"Don't you see her drinking from his cup?
And yesterday she sipped from mine."
And he said:
"Tomorrow she will drink from mine."

And I said:
"Look how she glances at him with eyes full of Love!
and with just such love, yesterday she glanced at me."
And he said:
"Tomorrow she will glance at me, likewise."

And I said:
"Listen to her whispering songs of love in his ears;
And yesterday she whispered the same songs in mine."
And he said:
"Tomorrow she will whisper them in mine."

And I said:
"Look at her embracing him; and yesterday she embraced me."
And he said:
"Tomorrow she will lie in my arms."

And I said:
"What a strange woman she is!!"
And he said:
"She is life!"

No comments: